Friday, February 15, 2008

Snow Day

Some in my family have heard me scoff about their wimpy states who shut down if they get an inch of snow. Where I live, if we get 3 feet, we're expected to dig out and go about our business, I said. So Wednesday night it snowed and Dan went out to shovel When he opened the garage, he was greeted with a 4-foot snow drift up against the garage door. So the kids got a snow day. Here was the scene in our neighborhood:

And here:



Yes, there's a street somewhere under there. I suspected there might be a snow day when I saw my neighbor's car axles buried. Here is our big snowdrift in our yard:


That's my neighbor's house that you see, and our fence. You can see grass in their yard and suddenly there's a 3 1/2-4 foot drift. And looking into our back yard:

I know it's not that great a picture, but imagine sand dunes made of snow.

And our Element:


Dan shoveled snow for an hour before he had to leave for an appointment and I shoveled for another 2 hours--normally a 20 minute job. Obviously Dan was faster than I am, but to be fair, I had to shovel the "cement" snow that the snow plows left blocking our driveway.

After the shoveling, we had a nice relaxing Valentine's Day. Dan made me Bacon, Avocado and Tomato sandwiches and Molten Chocolate cakes for lunch and I made him Steak Frites and Deep-Fried Nutella Won-Tons with Orange Creme Anglaise for dinner. Dan's recipes were from Foodnetwork.com:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_37083,00.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_34203,00.html

Mine were from Martha Stewart and Fine Cooking and I don't have links. But for the won-tons, you put Nutella in won-tons and deep fry them. And for the frites (fries), you cut potatoes, put them in salted water, remove them, drain and dry, and deep fry. Of course, for the steak, you get a skillet nice and hot, season the steak with salt and pepper, put a dab of butter in the skillet and slap the steak in. 2-3 minutes per side, and yummy! But beware the smoke detectors--ours went off several times.

And here's our Science Fair 2nd place winner--I braved the beginning of the storm to get this picture:

I took pictures of our public speaker giving his oral report, but they turned out blurry (surprise, surprise--maybe Danielle can explain to me what I'm doing wrong), so I'll get one of the poster that he made as a visual aid and post it.

1 comment:

shiguy4076 said...

Wow I can't believe all that snow. That would grant us Ohioians 3 snow days.

Tell Mr. Nephew he looks great. He's so smart.
Once again I will have to try your recipes. You always make the best stuff.
Shi