Monday, September 15, 2008

My New Purse

I spent Saturday with my mother-in-law, Nancy, and my sisters-in-law, Rachel and Erin, making a really cute purse. I don't sew well, so it was a chance for me to practice. When I saw a picture of the purse, which was "She Loves Me Knot" by Kimberbell Kids & CarlaC Dolly Designs, I immediately thought of Japanese gift wrap, so that was the type of fabric I looked for. I went to Whimsy Cottage in Salt Lake City, which I loved. They didn't just have the usual Americana-type fabrics. Don't get me wrong--I like those too--but I didn't feel they suited this project.



As is usual for me, I couldn't decide exactly which fabric I wanted. I saw these really pretty batiks first, and selected some of those, then I found the Japanese fabrics. So I bought them all. I'll probably make another purse out of them.

So first we cut out our pattern, fabric and interfacing pieces. Then we sewed the bottom and sides together. That was the end of the easy part. Next we sewed the purse sides and one of the ties to the bottom and sides. Ditto that--except the ribbon tie part--for the lining. But then for the lining we had to put in magnetic closures. We got to stab our fabric and then hammer it. So here is my outside:


And here is my inside:


Next, I got to sew up the sides and turn the outside right-side out, then drop the lining (also sewn up) into it. And then the hardest part of all: Turning down the top, pinning the handles and other bow tie to it and then sewing it without sewing the handles or tie down. Ta-da!


I'm very proud of it. I did learn, though, that I still need lots more work in sewing straight lines.

Here are (from left) Rachel's, Erin's, and Nancy's:


4 comments:

Dan said...

The purse is tres chic! I like the way the fabric pattern works with the design of the purse...now you just need a kimono to wear with the purse!

shiguy4076 said...

I love the purse. They are so cute. i like the fabric you chose. You have excellent taste.

Stuart and Kimber said...

very cute! (Erin sent me over to see your bags! I'm a sil on the other side!)

love em!

kimber

Anonymous said...

VERY trendy bags! I love them!