Saturday, February 11, 2017

The Funniest Snowman in the Issue

 
It's been a little longer than I anticipated between blog posts.  First I had that cold that decided to settle in.  I did start stitching again once I felt better and I also did the finishing work on an ornament and I wanted to get that all done so I could post it.

First, updates on my "mystery" ornament.  It's probably pretty obvious by now what it will be.



 




I'm actually almost done.  I'm working on backstitch, there's a bit of long stitch and satin stitch, and a few beads.  Finally, a bit more cross-stitch, which I've decided to do last.  It'll be pretty obvious why.

Jazzboy always picks a snowman for his ornament (the above is his, too), but it turns out there's a little more to the pattern.  He told me he always picks the funniest snowman in the issue.  For 2016, he chose "Winter Bluster" by Glendon Place from the Just Cross Stitch Ornament Issue.


It's not clear here, but it's a beautiful sparkly fabric:  28-ct Mystic Cashel linen by Picture This Plus.  I normally don't use Q-snaps anymore--I prefer stretcher bars now--but I didn't have the right size stretcher bars and I didn't want to wait to order some.  It turned out to be a good thing, because when I did order my supplies, I forgot to order the stretcher bars.


This segment actually involved a lot of miscounting and frogging and was far more frustrating than it looks.  Another problem I had was that of working on dark fabric.  My eyes are aging and it was very hard to see the holes.  I had heard a suggestion that I use a light box and I do have one, so I pulled it out.  Unfortunately, it made the threads difficult to distinguish--which threads go over, which go under--and I really need to be able to see those.  So I used the best (overhead) light I could and strong reading glasses and took my time.  Once I got going, though, this project was quite fun and relaxing.


Once again, no idea why it's sideways, no good with a camera, can't figure out how to right it.


Now we're taking off!







Stitching complete...


And the back.  You can see where I carried threads between the little snowflakes.  There is a technique for anchoring a thread into the fabric itself, and I know how to do it, but I don't trust that it won't come undone.  It may be something I address in the future.

The stitching was completed before Christmas, but I didn't start the finishing until last week.  The picture in the top left show the supplies:  completed stitching, backing fabric, acid-free foam core, trim.  Rather than do my usual lacing, I decided to use the flat ornament finishing instructions from the magazine.  This involved sewing with a sewing machine, not my best skill.


Front and back sewn together, except the bottom.


Foam core inserted (I added some batting as well), all sewn up.  I wasn't happy with the lower left corner, so I straightened it out a bit when I added the trim.


All finished and ready to hang!  The trim required tacking down in the front and whipstitch in the back.  I happened to have a snowflake button to attach a hanger.  I just made a ribbon loop.  I may change it in the future. 







No comments: