Monday, February 20, 2017

Clean Sweep Nutcracker

Ta-da!

Clean Sweep Nutcracker by Jemini Designs is found in the 2015 JCS Ornament Issue.  It was quite fun to do, with a little challenge in the metallics, satin stitch, and fluffy thread.

Here I have finished the backstitch and long stitch:


And then the satin stitch.  I felt I could have made it a little more smooth.  I decided at this point to add the signature as well, although it wasn't quite finished, because the final thread I used in this project was Rainbow Gallery's Wisper in red and there's nothing like dragging tiny bits of red fluff all over a nearly-finished project:


And, finished!  JazzBoy and I are both pleased with the way it turned out.  We like the clarity and simplicity of the design, as well as the humor:


It will probably be a little while before I do the final ornament Finishing.  I may, possibly, have mentioned that I don't like Finishing.  So this, and the other ornaments, will be worked in among other stitching/textile projects.  I'm currently working on stitching the remaining ornaments my family selected--I'm starting the next one this afternoon--as well as learning to sew an A-line skirt using lessons from Craftsy.  I'm also planning to get started on a few projects that I've had in mind for quite a while:

1.  A Mirabilia project for my sister that I started quite some time ago--a decade?  Longer?  It's ridiculous.  She paid quite a bit for the supplies, too.  I took a floor stand upstairs a few minutes ago and put it in front of the TV.  That's what I'll be doing this baseball season.

2.  Learning to tat ice drops.

3.  Tatting a small black doily.

4.  Making a couple of cuffs.  One will be denim with some tatting that I've already done.  I also have some orange silk shantung that will make an amazing cuff--I'm thinking of using some vintage costume jewelry and some cream ribbon and beads.  I've wanted cuffs for years.

So, lots to do!

No comments: