Friday, December 12, 2008

Other People's Creativity

I am always amazed by other people's creativity. Even though I haven't posted in a month or so, I've been keeping up on the various blogs that I like to read. I really admire all of you who are artisanally and artistically talented--and prolific! You really keep me inspired, especially when I'm feeling unmotivated. Thank you!

For my quilting sisters, I really do recommend Mel's Own Place. Not only is she super-talented, she has bunches of links to other quilting sites and blogs. As well as bookmaking and basketry sites. And for my knitting sisters, I recommend Zeneedle. I met Margene, whose blog that is, at Swan Sampler Guild, which she helped found, and I love to read her daily entries on adventures in knitting and spinning. My sister maintains the (mostly) knitting blog Big Booty Knits, and I wish she'd post more (but she could say the same about me, lol). She knits beautiful lace--I have The Long Paisley Shawl that she knit for me--and she has links to even more lace sites and blogs.

Besides the Christmas ornaments, and the tatting which is ongoing (I work on it while the boys have their swimming lessons), I have started a new doily:

It's "Victorian Lace" by Jo Ann Maxwell from The Ultimate Doily Book. I started this in the midst of all my other stuff because we were fortunate enough to get a new and beautiful dining room table from my in-laws. It's large and white and round, where our previous table was small and brown and oval. So my off-white doily doesn't really show up on it. I'm doing this in Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet Thread in Frosty Green and Ecru and it should be 23 inches in diameter. I had been having trouble because I was doing my foundation chains (not sure that's a term; I mean chains that are going to be stitched into) too tight. I may rip out the last row and a half (the outer green part) and redo it with less tension in the chain. I work on this in the car when I'm waiting for the boys after school, or any other time I have free time in public.

No comments: